We’ve probably all been down the single on Valentines day road, holding on to dear pride and acting like we are fine with everything when in reality we are cursing.
Remember It’s not your fault that you’re single or maybe it is, it doesn’t matter, you cardinal duty is to emerge on Thursday morning brimming with exuberance like you would on any other day irrespective of your status.
So just incase you find yourself locked in that hullabaloo of misery, cursing your relationship status and gnawing your teeth at the sight of Valentine’s day messages, gift cards, flowers and social media messages that you know are not meant for you I would like to suggest first and foremost you choose which direction you want to go because as far as am concerned for single people there are only two possible courses of action, you either play along with or you simply ignore the day and continue with your established routine which i staunchly advise against in preference of a more confrontational approach.
If you chose to ignore the day then you could go to work, study, read a novel like you normally do but just incase you choose to play along then here are a few thing I’ve done in the past in the company of myself and with other people (with the exception of couples, they depress me)
- Eat Out: Last year I dressed up nicely and dragged my feet all the way to a restaurant I like and ate rice and pork ribs which happens to be one of my favorite dishes and escorted it away with a beer ( don’t judge me, it’s not yet my favorite drink, besides they were discounted.), so go out dressed to insult the devil, and eat well, the meals are really cheap on Valentine’s.
- Watch a Movie: I finally watched that “Mad buddies” movie my cousin had hyped a lot and it turned out to be a great watch so instead of sitting on that couch miserably and cursing you ex opt for a movie you haven’t yet watched.
- Attend a Comedy Show: In 2015, I went out for a comedy show just to watch comedians crack jokes at couples and had a field day at it, comedy is good for single people, the comedians tend to prefer trolling people in relationships.
- Poetry: The same year I read an awesome poem on a friend’s timeline on Valentine’s eve and resolved that I would recite to myself. Although all that came out was a chant similar to those ones used in casting out demons in Nollywood movies, it took me about two hours in which I memorised romantic lines, turns out it’s a good way to spend time, if you don’t mind looking crazy.
- Galentine: You could try deserting the walls of your room or house and actually meet up with single friends, gang up and have some stress free fun, doesn’t matter what you do. A few years ago I went out with a couple of single friends and had a blast; we literally sang our lungs out at this awesome karaoke bar in Nakasero
- Show Love your way: I love writing so it’s only natural that I wrote something really nice about my mother back in 2011 when I couldn’t handle the loneliness of Valentine’s and although I considered it just a way to turn my thoughts to text and never really sent them to here, I still hope to give them to her one day. You could reach out to family or friends you value through your art today, doesn’t matter how you do it, could be a text message, poem, song, gift or even a phone call.
- Buy yourself a gift: Two years ago I discovered by eating cookies I was supposed to offer my crush that I had hardly treated myself to any nice things in preference to offering them to people close to me, Valentine’s should be the day you treat “you” well if you’re single.
- Be Thankful: Today I simply went to church since its Ash Wednesday and thanked the good Lord for my family, parents, friends and my ex whose child (my God son) was born today, Ash Wednesday might be a one-off on Valentine’s day but it offered me an opportunity to be grateful for my Godson.
- Surprise your Loved Ones: I also called my Godson Caleb who turns two tomorrow and wished him a “Happy birthday” and although he barely knows what’s happening, am sure he understood from the excitement in my voice that I was happy and it had something to do with him. You see I love kids’ especially when they are not mine. Later in the evening while am probably buried on my phone chatting with my former classmates I will surprise Caleb with a cake I’ve already ordered online just for his birthday. Surprise people, remind them that you care.
Since am tied down in the wild North of Uganda with no plot or possibility for one, my options are limited so I might just take a tour of the hills, read a book (there lots of em here) or take a nap which is a bad idea, all the same am enjoying Valentine’s Day alone.
Happy Valentine’s day, “all Hail The Single Ones” and as we do that here are a few responses I pulled up from twitter on the #SingleValentinesPlans on how single people will be spending the Love Saint’s day.